I sometimes have those moments when I get a craving for Chinese food. In those moments, I would immediately hop on a plane to China, only for the taste of the food :)
Previously, I have presented you my Chinese egg noodle mix and today my choice falls on beef with cashew nuts and broccoli. If you prefer it really spices, use more chili or sambal oelek, this recipe here is moderately spicy.
Enjoy the cooking! I am already working on a new recipe with rice vermicelli, so more to come in the next days :)
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 pound beef, one piece of lean meat preferably, then cut into thin slices
1 red bell pepper
1 head broccoli
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
1 chili, dried and cut int0 1/2 inch (1 cm) long pieces
1 handful of Cashew nuts (preferably unsalted)
dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, sesame oil
Chinese 5 spices seasoning
Side: White rice or Chinese (egg) noodles
1) Prepare the meet: Cut the piece into thin slices and the slices into mouth big pieces, then marinate the meat in a mix of dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, sesame oil (2-3 table spoons of each) and 5 spices seasoning (1/2 tea spoon).
2) Chop up the onion, garlic and chili (rough cut, doesn’t have to be finely chopped), then add them to the marinade and mix well.
3) Put the marinated meat aside for at least one hour (over night is better).
4) Slice the carrots and the bell pepper. Cut off the root parts of the broccoli.
5) Fill a small pot with 1 inch (2-3 cm) of salted water and steam the broccoli head for about 7-8 min.
6) Meanwhile stir fry the marinated meat (no need to add cooking oil to the pan). Remove the meat from the pan or wok and stir fry the carrots and the bell pepper in the left over sauce. At the end, mix meat, veggies and cashew nuts together.
7) Tastes best with a side of white rice, Chinese thick rice noodles or egg noodles.