Last night was one of those typical nights when we were late for dinner after a long day at work and lazy to go grocery shopping. We had veggies for a
salad in the fridge and so I decided to complete the meal with quick to make bread rolls. The spring onions and mozzarella give them a very delicious taste and they are also a perfect appetizer for any dinner party.
125 ml lukewarm water
1/2 pack dry yeast or 10g fresh yeast
1 bunch spring onions
Mozzarella cheese (optional)
Seasoning: salt, pepper, sweet paprika, oregano or herbs de provence
1) Pour the flour in a bowl and start with blending in a generous pinch of salt, pepper, sweet paprika and herbs like oregano or a French herbs the provence mix.
2) Now place the yeast in the middle of the seasoned flour. If it’s fresh yeast, crumble it.
3) Pour a sip of water over the yeast and using a fork blend some flour in. Put the bowl aside for 15 min in a warm place covered with a kitchen towel or a lid. This way you activate the yeast.
4) Meanwhile wash and chop the spring onion.
5) Add the spring onion, optionally 2 tablespoons of small mozzarella cubes and pour the remaining water over the flour. Using your hands knead the dough until it’s smooth and doesn’t stick on your hands.
6) Again cover the dough and put it aside in a warm place for 20-30 min. At the same time start preheating your oven to 200 degrees. The dough should rise during that time. If it doesn’t try to move it to a warmer place.
7) Now form small round or pointy rolls and put them on a baking pan covered with baking paper or sprayed with oil. Reduce the temperature to 180 degrees and bake them until they have a nice golden color from both sides (approx. 15 min).
Tip: If you bake with dry yeast, you may skip step 3 and go on with combining the ingredients.