Dear gourmet friends,
Today I have a little announcement to make: My Vegan challenge is over and successfully accomplished. The first two weeks went very well, apart from some stomach aches I got as a result of me eating too many wholegrain products. The last two weeks were tougher, especially the weekends. That´s when we like to eat out with friends. I don´t have many Vegan or Vegetarian friends so I managed to be through the menu in 1-2 minutes since I would typically land in a Vegan unfriendly place: Dry bread, plain rice or green salad would be my choice, which for a night out is a really unspectacular. One time I even got angry about my untasty dinner. But hey, I tried out some new and interesting recipes in the last 4 weeks as well.
Now you might be wondering what I missed the most: To be honest, I missed cheese a looot, sometimes meat and yogurt. And to tell you what I ate on my first day off: Sausage and chicken meat…Hmmm. It´s BBQ time out with the spring arriving and I could not resist.
And for all the meat fans among us, I made one of my favorite recipes. Balinese style chicken. That is chicken thighs, marinated in Asian spices and soy sauce, served with white rice.
Ingredients (serves 4-5 people):
1,5 kg chicken thighs or wings
1 large onion
Half a garlic bulb (min 5 garlic cloves)
75 ml soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon roasted chili paste or sambal oelek, if you don`t have any, substitute with chili flakes
Fresh ginger (3-4 cm/1.5 inches)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar and 2-3 tablespoons dark Chinese vinegar
1 cup tomato sauce (can be mixed with tomato paste)
Seasoning: sweet paprika powder, Chinese 5 spices, cloves, cinnamon, curry powder
1) Rinse the chicken meat and clean it (remove excess skin and fat)
2) Peel the onion, the garlic and the ginger. Cut the onion in slices and dice the garlic. Grind the ginger or slice it.
3) In a bowl, prepare the marinade:
Mix the soy sauce, the honey, the garlic, the ginger, the chili paste and all spices well together.
4) In a separate bowl, mix the tomato sauce with vinegar.
5) Place the chicken in a casserole and apply a thin layer of salt on the meat. Then cover with marinade and finally top with tomato sauce.
6) Bake in the preheated oven at 230 degrees Celsius/450 Fahrenheit for about 55-60 min.
7) Serve with white rice or bread.
Tip: If you have time, marinate the chicken meat at least half a day in advance and it will be even tastier!
Find the original recipe in German here: