Have you ever wondered what to do with leftover red wine apart from pouring it down the sink? Cook with it :) Red wine sauce, coq au vin…and red wine cake, that’s what comes to my mind when I think of how to use wine in the kitchen.
I am planning on starting a muffin challenge with my readers soon so stay tuned for more. This red wine chocolate muffin recipe is my first teaser and is both a great breakfast or a delicious desert after dinner.
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
1 cup soft butter or margarine (I like to use vegan Alsan)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup red wine
cinnamon, vanilla aroma, ground cloves (optional), baking powder (1 tablespoon)
cocoa powder to color the dough (2-3 tablespoons)
1 pack chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) In a large bowl, whisk the butter until soft. Then add the sugar and the eggs and mix well.
3) Flavor the dough with cinnamon, vanilla aroma and ground cloves.
4) In a separate bowl combine the flour with the baking powder.
5) Now start stirring in a bit of the flour/baking powder mix, then subsequently add red wine and flour mix until the dough is smooth.
6) Finally, add the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips.
7) Fill the dough into muffin forms or in a cake pan that you have greased with butter or oil and bake for 20-50 min (20 min for the muffins, 50 min for the cake).
Tip: Serve with whipped cream while still warm.