Before the wonderful pumpkin season is over I want to share a very easy pumpkin pie recipe with you. In Germany, pumpkin pies are not very common to my surprise. Pumpkins are everywhere though!
I have seen many recipes using a ton of cream. I prefer it a little simpler with just a sip of cream. If you want to make somebody a nice surprise, bake the pie in a muffin pan. Serve while still warm with a dab of whipped cream and you will make their day!
1 cup flour
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening (in Germany I use Butterschmalz)
2 tablespoons cold water
1) In bowl, combine flour and salt. Then mix in the vegetable shortening and finally add the cold water. Mix until the dough is smooth and holds together.
2) I usually leave the dough in the fridge for about 30 min.
3) On a clean surface, sprinkled with flour, roll out the dough. It should be about 1-2 mm high and round. Tips: Use plastic wrap to roll out the dough.
1 pumpkin (e.g. Hokkaido pumpkin)
Cinnamon powder, ground cloves (1/2 teaspoon each)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
1) In a large pot, bring about 2 l of water to a boil. Meanwhile, clean and cut the pumpkin into slices or cubes. You do not need to remove the skin.
2) Boil the pumpkin at medium heat until soft. This takes about 10-15 min. Drain and put aside to let it cool down.
3) In a blender mix the pumpkin pieces until you receive a smooth pumpkin paste.
4) Transfer into a bowl and season with cinnamon powder and ground cloves. Stir in the sugar and then add the cream. For a spicier taste, add more cinnamon and cloves.
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
2) Use a pie baking pan or round ceramic bowl to bake the pie.
3) Instead of greasing out the baking pan, I used baking paper so that the pie would not stick to the baking pan.
4) Place the dough in the baking pan and with your fingers line it into the baking pan.
5) Fill with pumpkin puree and bake for about 20-25 min until the crust has a nice brown color.
For the pie crust, I used this recipe: https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/28518/homemade-pie-crust-recipe/