This is the ultimate dinner delight! If you like oriental flavors, then this one is for you. Basically, this couscous dish is an oven roast kind of meal which is great to prepare because you put it in the oven for 20-30min with a few preps beforehand and while you sip on your apero drink with your guests, the dish cooks itself.
This meal is best suitable for groups of 4-6 people – if you have a big dish to fit in loads of chicken, you can go even bigger and make it for 8-10 people.
Looking at this picture, the water is already coming together in my mouth and I can recall the extra yummy smell that came out of the oven when we made it.
Ingredients (serves 4):
250 g couscous, 4 chicken legs, veggie stock (cube or powder), olive oil, 1 cup cocktail tomatoes, 1/2 cup almonds, 1 tablespoon honey, 150 g goat cream cheese, 1 lemon
Seasoning: salt, pepper, turmeric
- Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper.
- Sear the chicken in a hot pan from both sides.
- Prepare about 1/2 liter (1 pint) of veggie broth by dissolving the veggie stock in hot water as indicated on the package. For 1/2 liter I normally use 1 teaspoon of veggie stock.
- Place the couscous grains in a lasagna pan. Mix with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and cover with veggie broth. Use roughly twice the amount of water in comparison to the amount of couscous (e.g. 1 cup of couscous = 2 cups of water or veggie broth). Generously drizzle with olive oil.
- Wash the cocktail tomatoes and cut 1 lemon in quarters.
- Spread out the cocktail tomatoes, lemon quarters and 1/2 cup of whole almonds on the couscous. Then place the pan in the oven at 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 10-15min. The couscous is ready as soon as the water has been soaked up.
- Take the pan out of the oven and add the cooked chicken legs, Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of honey and finally cover with the goat cheese. Put the pan back in the oven for another 5-10min until the chicken and cheese have a nice golden crust.
If you like it a little bit spicy, feel free to dissolve 1-2 teaspoons of Harissa in water and pour the sauce over the couscous before you add the chicken and cheese.