This summer I entered the world of gardening. Just a little bit. Not that I started growing greens & veggies on a large field. I have a small gardening bed where I grow herbs, onions and carrots. Grandpa has a much larger garden and more experience and kindly takes care of the salads, cabbages and a few other greens.
In our village, there is also a small shop called Krautgaart that sells organically grown, seasonal vegetables and I love their concept of offering seasonal produce because that allows for a lot of variety and vegetables you wouldn’t necessarily grab in the supermarket. Today, I decided to make a light summer quiche and used eggs and freshly harvested garlic from Krautgaart.
The best part about using produce that is home-grown or from local stores, you can avoid plastic packaging. So let’s go green and healthy this summer!
1 zucchini, not too large
1 garlic clove
10-15 pitted black olives, cut in half
1 handful grated cheese (e.g. emmental or gouda)
300g crème fraîche, preferably light
1 shortcrust or puff pastry dough
Seasoning: Herbes de Provence (or dried rosemary, thyme, oregano), 2-3 fresh sage leaves (optional), salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder, ground nutmeg
1) In a flat baking pan (e.g. pie pan) roll out the pie dough. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius (425 degrees Fahrenheit).
2) Wash and peel the zucchini. Grate it on a plate or in a bowl. Press the garlic clove and add it to the shredded zucchini. Season with pepper, salt and herbes de Provence. If you have fresh sage leaves chop them and add them as well. They will give a very fine aroma. Cover the bottom of the dough with the shredded zucchini mix. The layer should be about 1cm (0.5 inch) thick.
3) In a bowl, mix together the crème fraîche, the eggs and the cheese. Season with nutmeg, salt and sweet paprika powder. Pour the mix on top of the zucchini.
3) Cut the tomatoes in slices and layer them in a circle on top of the mix. Decorate with the olive halves and before you place the quiche in the oven, season with pepper again. If you like sprinkle a little bit of cheese on top.
4) Bake for 25min until golden brown.